Wednesday, March 20, 2013

February 4th-8th Gender Roles


This week we talked about gender roles in the family, the differences between male and female and same sex attraction. Something that we talked a lot about too is how we are this gender for a reason. It did not happen by chance. There are specific roles given to men and women before we came to this Earth. Men and women were created equal but that does not mean identical. The roles that men and women play are different but both equally needed. I believe that men are supposed to be the protectors and providers and priesthood holders. Us women are the moms, the caretakers. But that doesn’t mean that women cannot work. I know I am going to work when I get married. I do not want to just sit at home while my husband goes to work. But when I have kids I will be a fulltime mom until my kids are old enough and then I will be more than happy to go back to work.  My mom has worked ever since my dad and her got a divorce 11 years ago. And when my dad got laid off from his job, my stepmom went back to work to help out even though she had two young kids at home. So that is why I think it is important for the woman to be able to work if she needs to.
Something that I really like about this topic was the role of siblings, especially an older sister. The study said that having a sister protects them from feeling lonely, unloved, guilty, self-conscience, and fearful. This hits home with me because I had an older sister and I myself am an older sister to 4 of my siblings. Growing up I went to my older sister Leah for everything. And now my little sister Josie comes to me for everything. I love my siblings so much. Growing up we fought, a lot! But this study also says that bickering and occasional fights between siblings is actually a good thing because it teaches us to make up and regain control of our emotions. I am so grateful for my siblings and the role that my mom and dad and stepmom have played in my life. I LOVE MY FAMILY J


No comments:

Post a Comment